Integrative Medicine is patient-centered care that focuses on healing the whole person — mind, body and spirit in the context of community. Combining the best of Western scientific medicine with a broader understanding of the nature of illness, healing and wellness, integrative medicine makes use of all appropriate therapeutic approaches and evidenced-based global medical modalities to achieve optimal health and healing.
Best Practices in Integrative Medicine
Integrative medicine is changing the way medicine is practiced in America. Just released, "Best Practices in Integrative Medicine: A Report from the Bravewell Clinical Network", is a 137-page document that outlines the best practices of eight leading integrative medicine clinics in the US.
The McKinsey study revealed that no two integrative medicine clinics operate on the exact same organizational model. While many share target populations and treatment philosophy, the clinics have different approaches and economics, and often offer different services aimed at market segments unique to their locale. However, fundamental lessons learned at the eight Bravewell Clinical Network clinics can be shared to the benefit of all.
From core business models to strategies for growth to key services provided and effective marketing programs, Best Practices in Integrative Medicine presents how each of these clinics have achieved growing success within their own unique marketplace and corporate structure.
Included are individualized reports from:
- Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine, Scripps Health, La Jolla, CA
- Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Center for Integrative Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- The Continuum Center for Health and Healing, Beth Israel Hospital, New York City, NY
- Duke Integrative Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC
- Alliance Institute for Integrative Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
- Jefferson–Myrna Brind Center for Integrative Medicine, Thomas Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
HOW TO PURCHASE
Best Practices in Integrative Medicine: A Report from the Bravewell Clinical Network is available for $50.00. To purchase, send your check to:
The Bravewell Collaborative
1818 Oliver Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55405
SUCCESSFUL ACTIONS AT A GLANCE
During the years 2004 to 2006, Susan Stock of Neela Associates, Inc. assisted each clinic in the Bravewell Clinical Network with comprehensive business planning, practice development strategies and management issues. The work revealed that the best leaders are physicians who are clinically active, have the ability to inspire others, maintain a collaborative style, and are willing to make tough decisions.
Other key points she found that help build a successful integrative medicine center are:
- A tight community of practitioners who share the vision and values of the center;
- An identified distinctiveness in the healthcare marketplace;
- Credibility with the traditional physicians;
- Joint programs with conventional departments;
- Low overhead; and
- One or two higher-margin services that subsidize needed low-margin services.